Kai Ken links
The American Kennel Club Foundation stock service (AKC/FSS)
The AKC does not formally recognize the Kai Ken breed
but accepts them for recording in the AKC Foundation Stock Service.
The Fédération Cynologique Internationale (FCI)
Recognizes the Kai Ken breed and publishes a breed standard
The Japan Kennel Club ジャパンケンネルクラブ (JKC, in Japanese)
the primary registry body for purebred dog pedigrees in Japan
Kai Ken Aigokai 甲斐犬愛護会 (KKA)
The Kai Dog Protection Society is headquartered in Yamanashi, Japan,
and maintains the oldest and largest Kai Ken registry.
They do not have a website, but their standards are translated on Yamabushi Kennel's site.
- The Kai Ken Society of America – Resources about the history, character, and future of the breed
Nihon Ken Hozonkai 日本犬保存会 (Nippo, in Japanese)
The Association for the Preservation of the Japanese Dog, commonly abbreviated to Nippo
- The United Kennel Club (UKC). Kai Ken breed standards and registry.
Forums & blogs
- Kai-Ken Owners & Enthusiasts – a closed Facebook group
- The Nihon Ken Blog – Shigeru Kato's blog about Japanese dog breeds
- The Nihon Ken Forum – discussion group about Japanese dogs
- Birchbark Kennel, Vermont
Hayaikaze Kennel, Washington
Mijikai Kennel, Michigan
- Rogue River Kai Ken, Wisconsin
- Shōga Kensha Kai Ken, Michigan
- Suteishii Kennels, Ohio
is not breeding currently (Winter 2019),
but their site offers a wealth of useful information.
Japan Dog Export, Kanagawa, Japan
Shigeru Kato serves as liason to Japanese dog breeders and organizations
and provides translation services.
Kai Ken Registry – online database.
Lists pedigrees of dogs registered with the AKC/FSS, FCI, JKC, KKA, Nippo, and UKC.
Our thanks to Brad Anderson of Yamabushi Kennels for his work creating this.
- List of Japanese dog names – by tradition, Kai are given Japanese names.
First Dog – a 2010 American family movie starring Little Bear, a Kai Ken.
Written and directed by Brian Michael Stoller.